The Recreational program is for players age 3 to 14 (grades pre-K-8) of all skill levels, and emphasizes learning soccer skills and the rules of the game, working with a team, and building social, physical, and emotional readiness for the game. The program is organized by grade level with more challenging play available as the player grows and progresses.
All are welcome to play in our recreation league (REC). All towns in Central/Western MA are welcome to join us. We offer free/reduced lunch discounts for kids in public school and/or homeschool.
Teams meet on Saturdays, and go through a series of skill development and drills, followed by one or several games.
Our programs are built around a core set of values including teamwork, challenging one’s abilities and knowledge, and the enjoyment of participating in an active and demanding sport. Good sportsmanship is not only desirable, it is essential. Our coaches will challenge our players to accept these values and play by them and we ask your support as parents in maintaining this focus.
More info on our home page and on our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/AmherstYouthSoccerAssociation
Pease register even if applying for a scholarship. When you reach the payment page, exit the system without paying. We will send you an invoice for the amount due after the deadline.
Scholarships are available for players in need. You may apply on-line or send in a paper application.
- Pre-Kickers (any gender) Session 1: 1:00-1:45pm at Fort River Elementary School
- Pre-Kickers (any gender) Session 2: 3:15-4:00pm at Fort River Elementary School
- Kindergarten (any gender): 2:00-3:00pm at Fort River Elementary School
- Grade 1-2 boys: 8:30-10:00am at Plumbrook Fields
- Grade 1-2 girls: 10:30am-12:00pm at Plumbrook Fields
- Grade 3-4 boys: 8:30-10:00am at Plumbrook Fields
- Grade 3-4 girls: 10:30am-12:00pm at Plumbrook Fields
- Grade 5-8 coed/any gender:10:30am-12:00pm at Plumbrook Fields
Soccer Gear Needed:
- All players should own their own ball, with their name on it in permanent ink. Please bring the ball to every session. Ball size varies by age:
- Size 3 – Under 8 years (K and 1st grade)
- Size 4 – Ages 8 to 12 years (2nd to 5th grade)
- Size 5 – Ages 12 and up (6th grade and up)
- Cleats (not metal).
- Shin guards, covered by soccer socks.
- Athletic shorts or pants. We will provide a team t-shirt.
- A reusable water container (hopefully with ice water in it).
Weather Cancellation Information
We evaluate field conditions on Saturday mornings as early as possible, and send our an email at the very least 30 minutes prior to each session. If there is thunder or lightning 15 minutes before or during any session, soccer will be called off immediately.
Any cancelled sessions will be scheduled for the following Friday, when possible, except the session preceding Memorial Day Weekend and the last session of the season.
Teams are formed by the Program Manager. All assignments are final. Changes considered only for players placed at the wrong grade level and coaches’ children not placed on the coach’s team.
If you have not been contacted by your coach by the first day of play, please report to the designated field at the designated time, and an AYSA representative will help you find your team.
ALL PLAYERS ARE REQUIRED TO PLAY ON THEIR ROSTERED TEAM. THIS IS NECESSARY TO PRESERVE OUR INSURANCE COVERAGE AND PROTECT COACHES FROM LIABILITY IN CASE OF ACCIDENT. PLEASE DO NOT ASK COACHES TO ALLOW UNROSTERED PLAYERS TO PLAY ON THEIR TEAMS.
Credits for Cancelled Registration (We cannot offer Refunds)
We are not able to offer refunds but if you need to cancel, please do so by the second meeting date of the season, and we can issue you a credit for an upcoming season. No credits are issued after the second week. Registration fee of $35: a town field fee and MYSA insurance fee will be deducted from all credits, as we have to pay these fees for all registered players even if your child never plays. Credit will be issued via our registration system and can be used for future soccer seasons. Please allow up to 2 weeks for this credit to be processed to your account in Sportsmanager.