The Recreational program, for ages 3 to 14 is for players of all skill levels but emphasizes learning soccer skills and the rules of the game, working with a team, and building social, physical, and emotional readiness for the game. The program is organized by grade level with more challenging play available as the player grows and progresses.
All are welcome to play in our recreation league (REC). All towns in Central/Western MA are welcome to join us. We offer free/reduced lunch discounts for kids in public school and/or homeschool.
REC grades: Pre-Kindergarten to Grade 8. Pre-K/K and 6-8 are co-ed. 1st and up are boys/girls. Some grade levels may be combined. Teams meet on Saturday, and go through a series of skill development and drills, followed by one or several games.
Our programs are built around a core set of values including teamwork, challenging one’s abilities and knowledge, and the enjoyment of participating in an active and demanding sport. Good sportsmanship is not only desirable, it is essential. Our coaches will challenge our players to accept these values and play by them and we ask your support as parents in maintaining this focus.
The Fall 2018 REC season will run Saturdays from September 8 to November 10 (makeup day is Nov 11).
(Please register even if applying for a scholarship. When you reach the payment page, exit the system without paying. We will send you an invoice for the amount due after the deadline.)
Scholarships may be available for players in need. You may apply on-line or send in a paper application.
Deadlines for Scholarship Applications:
ROSTERS: COMING SOON
- Pre-Kickers Session 1 – 1:00-1:45pm at Fort River Elementary School
- Pre-Kickers Session 2 – 3:15-4:00pm at Fort River Elementary School
- Kindergarten – 2:00-3:00pm at Fort River Elementary School
- 1st-2nd grade boys- 8:30-10:00am at Plumbrook Fields
- 1st -2nd grade girls – 10:30-12:00pm at Plumbrook Fields
- 3rd-8th grade girls – 10:30-12:00pm at Plumbrook Fields
- 3th-8th grade boys – 10:30-12:00pm at Plumbrook Fields
Soccer Gear Needed:
- All players should own their own ball, with their name on it in permanent ink. Please bring the ball to every session. Ball size varies by age:
- Size 3 – Under 8 years (K and 1st grade)
- Size 4 – Ages 8 to 12 years (2nd to 5th grade)
- Size 5 – Ages 12 and up (6th grade and up)
- Cleats (not metal).
- Shin guards, covered by soccer socks.
- Athletic shorts or pants. We will provide a team t-shirt.
- A reusable water container (hopefully with ice water in it).
Weather Cancellation Information: Director of Coaching will send an email by 7:30am to inform families whether soccer will be cancelled due to weather.
Teams are formed by the Program Manager, under the direction of the AYSA Board of Directors. Teams will be formed randomly by mixing players from different schools. Each player should be placed on a team with a mutually requested friend.
All assignments are final. Changes considered only for players placed at the wrong grade level and coaches’ children not placed on the coach’s team.
If you have not been contacted by your coach by the first day of play, please report to the designated field at the designated time, and an AYSA representative will help you find your team.
ALL PLAYERS ARE REQUIRED TO PLAY ON THEIR ROSTERED TEAM. THIS IS NECESSARY TO PRESERVE OUR INSURANCE COVERAGE AND PROTECT COACHES FROM LIABILITY IN CASE OF ACCIDENT. PLEASE DO NOT ASK COACHES TO ALLOW UNROSTERED PLAYERS TO PLAY ON THEIR TEAMS.
Credits Only (We do not offer Refunds)
If you are requesting a refund, a CREDIT will be issued which can be used for a future season. Requests for credits can be made until the second meeting date of the season. Fees in the amount of $35 are deducted from each registration.
No credit will be issued for any reason after the second week.
FEES: A registration fee, town field fee and MYSA insurance fee will be deducted from all credits, as we have to pay these fees for all registered players even if your child never plays. As of Fall 2018, these fees are $35/per registration.
Credit will be issued via our registration system and can be used for future soccer seasons. We do not refund credit cards. Please allow up to 2 weeks for this credit to be processed to your account in Sportsmanager.